I research the British press between 1750 and 1950, identify British newspaper stories and supply historic articles.
Please fill in the form. If I find any articles I will send you the news reports by email as attachments.
Court proceedings, police activity, probate, bankruptcy, sport – even missing people. Old newspapers are a real treasure trove exposing every aspect of life as it really was. Revealing the actual lives of our ancestors. From transported convicts, crime reports, births, deaths, obituaries and marriages.
How can I help?
Sometimes newspaper reports are the only remaining record of an event.
Find out if your ancestors were in the news.
- Identify newspaper articles based on the detail you send me.
- Where and when any relevant news items were published.
- The extent of the coverage.
- Consider what each item tells you and its relevance.
What can you expect to find in newspapers?
- Crime reports
- Birth, marriage, death and funeral notices
- Announcements of life events
- Social news
- Activities of clubs and organisations
- Workhouse reports
- Legal notices, such as those from court cases
- Police statements
- Local events and coverage
- Advertisements and business notices
- Major local events, such as fires and floods
Click play and see how old newspapers can enhance your research.
How old newspapers help you
- Life events data, such as birth, marriage and death notices are the basics for family history.
- Local news can provide a lot of detail, especially about relationships and residence of various family members. This sometimes picks up lost links or branches of a family who stayed or moved. It may also account for a youngster who was born and died between census enumerations.
- Many snippets of information are buried in the advertisements and legal notices.
- Marriages, death notices and other short items
- Notices of sale of land, bankruptcy, dissolutions of partnership which could give clues to a change of financial status.
If I find any news items or other related archive, I will send you an email containing the articles.